Flameless Phoenix
10-05 22:28

Watching the Bond Range Before Adding Risk

My main takeaway from Friday's close is that an index near its highs can hide a much less convincing market underneath. Technology leadership still looks resilient, but I want to see more stocks participating before becoming more aggressive.

These are my observations and plans for Monday's session, not a record of completed trades.

The bond market is where I am looking for the next useful clue. Across two sessions, bonds first resisted news that would normally hurt them, then failed to sustain a rally on news that would normally help them. That makes me less interested in predicting the next headline and more interested in the price range those reactions left behind.

For me, that range provides a practical test. A sustained move higher in yields would make it harder to justify adding equity risk. A move lower could give rate-sensitive areas some breathing room. While yields remain inside it, I do not see a reason to force a directional conclusion from every economic release.

This also changes how I look at a familiar support level. TGTX has bounced from support before, but a previous bounce is not a promise that the next one will work. If momentum is now negative and still deteriorating, the conditions are different even when the line on the chart looks familiar. That is the lesson I want to keep in mind when deciding whether a struggling trade still deserves patience.

On the stronger side, I want to be equally deliberate about taking profits. A healthy trend can justify staying involved, but an option spread has a limited payoff. The decision should include how much reward remains for the risk and time still committed. I would rather make that assessment calmly than wait for an abrupt reversal to force it.

The same discipline applies to a hedge. It needs a clear purpose and a reason to stay in place. I should reassess it when the market moves against the original premise, rather than keep paying for protection simply because I already own it.

Microsoft and Snowflake remain charts to watch, not reasons for me to rush into fresh exposure. I want a convincing setup and confirmation that fits the broader market. A quiet entry day can still be useful if I use it to review exits and check where my existing risks overlap.

My priority for Monday is to manage what is already on the table, let the bond range clarify the backdrop, and be selective about anything new. Patience is easier when I know what evidence would change my mind.

Options involve substantial risk and may not be suitable for every investor.

Disclaimer: Investing carries risk. This is not financial advice. The above content should not be regarded as an offer, recommendation, or solicitation on acquiring or disposing of any financial products, any associated discussions, comments, or posts by author or other users should not be considered as such either. It is solely for general information purpose only, which does not consider your own investment objectives, financial situations or needs. TTM assumes no responsibility or warranty for the accuracy and completeness of the information, investors should do their own research and may seek professional advice before investing.

Comments

We need your insight to fill this gap
Leave a comment