Waiting for Confirmation After the Bond Reversal
My main takeaway from the 1 October close is that a market can become interesting before it becomes actionable. Bonds recovered from an early sell-off despite an uncomfortable inflation backdrop and firmer oil. That caught my attention, but it was not enough to declare the pressure from rising yields over. This is my review and planning framework, not a record of new orders or fills.
What interests me is the difference between bad news and the market's response to it. When an asset stops falling on news that would normally hurt it, I want to pay attention. It may mean sellers are becoming less effective. It can also be nothing more than a short-covering bounce. I would need follow-through before treating those two possibilities as the same opportunity.
The first decision is about timing. I do not want an attractive support area to become an excuse for entering too early. A cluster of prior price levels and improving momentum can help me identify where to watch, but neither tells me that buyers have taken control. For a countertrend idea, I want to see a close above the high of the bar that made the low. That gives me something observable to judge instead of relying on how convincing the story feels.
The second decision is where any relief in yields might matter most. Small caps and banks are worth watching because a steadier rate backdrop could give them room to recover. Utilities offer another angle. But I would not treat them as interchangeable ways to buy the same bounce. The reason yields fall matters as much as the direction.
Going into the 2 October jobs report, that distinction was especially important. If firm economic news failed to keep pushing yields higher, I would see a stronger case for watching a rates-relief move. If yields fell because growth looked weaker, the benefit to small caps could be less straightforward. I would want the sector's own price action to support the idea, rather than assuming every rate-sensitive chart should respond alike.
I also do not want a modest improvement in market breadth to erase the broader weakness. One better session is useful evidence, not a complete change of character. I can keep a watchlist ready without turning every possible rebound into an options position.
The lesson I want to carry into the next session is simple: separate the interesting setup from the confirmed trigger, then let the market earn the trade.
Options involve substantial risk and may not be suitable for every investor.
Comments